« Home | MS Death Blows to Performance Management market sp... » | Executive Decision !! » | AJAX resources & What we did in Paris ..Day 1 & 2.. » | Mashups, APIs, Developer cheat sheets and more... » | Back to work blues! » | Counting down the longest day .... » | Get organised ! » | Funny errors and stuff » | Got eBooks? » | A new start ! »

How NOT to implement software systems, BlipTV and Xcelsius!

Well folks, after a hiatus of a couple of weeks due to dental pain I'm back, and with a question.


If I gave you a million to implement a new software system that gave me a paperless office how would you do? How about €10m or even €50? Well for all those out there in project management, systems design and related fields this may make interesting reading. Read how the FBI, yes the FBI tried to implement the mother of all filing systems at a cost of millions and continually got it wrong while bleeding money all the time.
I see crazy mistakes throughout the industry on an almost daily basis. Dont repeat the mistake of the FBI and others, wise up to proper project management methodologies and do it now!

The FBI's Upgrade That Wasn't from the Washington Post.

You can catch great coverage of state-side technology news, again from the Post here.


Next I have to mention BlipTV. I dont get what all the fuss is about with this lot. Personally I think the homepage is bloody annoying and obtrusive and the window you're expected to scroll through when choosing clips to watch ...WTF ? Someone there obviously thinks it's design is cool and cutting edge but they've apparently never heard of the "keep it simple" approach. Give me YouTube any day of the week. It's clear , easy and quick to search and enough community type content to keep you coming back without the intrusion of a limiting browsing method. That's my two cents on the debate. I know one langer who fancies himself as a new media expert who would disagree.



Finally, if you checked out Dashboard Spy from my last post, you'll like this.
I spent 4 days this week getting some training in Crystal Reports, Business Objects and Crystal Xcelsius and I advise everyone to learn Xcelsius now! Directors, especially state-side, have gone enterprise dashboards mad recently so if you cant design them now you're web based portal application that you thought was cutting edge is already way behind. You have been warned!


Technorati

technorati tags:, , , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock

About me

  • I'm Jim
  • Based in
View my Blogger Profile
View James Lee's profile on LinkedIn

Links


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Irish Bloggers
BlogBurst.com
Irish Blogs Protected by